You've probably heard of a dance called Lambada from the 80's. Brazilian Zouk actually evolved from Lambada, only much more stylized and elegant!
Zouk-Lambada is a group of closely related dance styles based on or evolved from the lambada dance style. Zouk today is the evolution of Lambada and it is super smooth, romantic, hypnotic with long, fluent, wave-like movements and surprisingly easy to learn! Unlike the fast paced, energetic and explosive LambaZouk. Brazilian Zouk or Zouk-Lambada is used to distinguish the dance from the Caribbean Zouk dance style, which is historically related to, but very different from the Brazilian Zouk-Lambada dance style.
Zouk was originally called "Zouk Love" due to it being danced to a much slower paced music, therefor could display a more sensual movement.One of the most amazing things with Zouk is the music! Todays Zouk music is mellow and beautiful, with an irresistible dance beat and a strong bass line. The majority of Zouk dancers today dance to the music you hear on the radio, many of songs is RnB music that have either been re-mixed and put a Zouk beat in them or naturally have the correct pace and rhythm to dance Brazilian Zouk. When the dance is put together with the music, it will mesmerize you!
|Next course||Where||Cost||Register online
Mercator Centre Šiška
| Zouk Bootcamp
Development Part 2
Koperska Ulica 29, Vic
Couple Registration €35/person
Single Registration €40
Creativity Part 3
Mercator Centre Šiška
Couple Registration €35/person
Single Registration €40
What makes Zouk different to other styles
Since it's introduction a few years ago, it has quickly won the heart of Latin dancers across Brazil, Australia, USA, Asia and of course Europe!
- Basic step going back and front (from Samba de Gafieira)
- Lateral (from Bolero), where the leaders open up to create a "corridor" for the ladies.
- Bonus (aka Boomerang), where the follower is lead to cross the leader with a simple turn, then return to the leader to go back to the basic step.
- Cambre is a back arch or dip. Sometimes a cambre can go below the waistline.
- Boneca is a very characteristic move where the ladies are lead to do a round head movement.
Zouk fast facts
- There are three dominant lines of Brazilian zouk; Traditional Zouk, LambaZouk, and Zouk with different styles.
- Zouk is also called Brazilian Zouk or Zouk-Lambada to distinguish from the Caribbean Zouk with is very different.
- In the mid 1990's Lambada music stopped being produced quite abruptly. Lambada dancers found the slower zouk music to dance to and it had an impact on the fast Lambada movements. Soon the new Brazilian Zouk dance style emerged.
- LambaZouk is the style closest related to the original Lambada.
- Traditional Zouk (aka today as Rio Zouk) draws influences from contemporary and modern dance.
FREE Beginners ZOUK Intro CLASS!
TUESDAY 05 January @ 9:00pm
NEW YEAR! NEW GOALS! NEW POSSIBILITIES!
This is the perfect opportunity to TRY something different - FREE Beginners ZOUK Introductory CLASS!
You have probably heard of Zouk or perhaps seen some of it when out dancing... but you've never tried it. Here's a perfect opportunity to come check it out and find out what all the fuss is about! You've got nothing to loose and everything to gain!
Come join us @ ZOUK NIGHTS! on for a complimentary BEGINNERS ZOUK INTRO CLASS!
WHEN: TUE 05 JAN
TIME: 9:00pm SHARP!
WHERE: Kavarna Klub K8, Kavadarska Cesta 5, Ljubljana
Bring a friend... or two, or three.. Or tell them or send them! ;-)
7 Reasons Why you should try this ZOUK class!
1. Learn new skills
2. Meet new people
3. Explore a new dance
4. The music is phenomenal!
5. It could change your lifestyle!
6. Complete BEGINNERS WELCOME!
7. Did we mention its... FREE!
WARNING! Zouk is extremely addictive and could potentially change the way you live your life!
4 hour - Zouk Fundamentals Bootcamp - Part 1
FRIDAY 08 January @ 6:00pm
You may have tried some Zouk dancing at one of the free trial we have done this year. However, that trial session only gave you a chance to dabble into Zouk dancing bearly sratching the surface. This time, we're doing a full on in-depth Bootcamp!
Zouk is one of those dances where the fundamentals are absolutely crucial and have to be taught in a progressive way. When it comes to Zouk, it is never the way it looks! Meaning its not as simple as watching and copying, unless you truly understand the fundamental movement, connection or step. The Zouk community in Slovenia is still in its growing stages however, by creating more opportunities to learn and dance, the comunity will naturally grow.
We absolutely love Zouk and take every opportunity we can to explore it more and more. After returning from a recent Zouk event, we are fully inspired and ready to share with you the core of what makes this dance so beautiful and mesmerizing!
Join us for some "Zoukcess"! We will cover all essential basics from scratch in order for you to feel confident to lead and follow all core Zouk moves. This bootcamp is appropriate for absolute beginners who may not be able to commit to weekly classes and/or are looking for an accelerated introduction to Zouk dancing. Its also a great opportunity for those already dancing Zouk looking for a quick review to brush up the basics and fundamentals. Additionally we will also cover some fun bonus stuff to spice it up and create some variations of the fundamentals taught.
*Attention!* All participants will recieve Latinissimo's Zouk Basics & Fundamentals instructional 60min video complimentary, to help you retain your learning!
- 6:00pm: Zouk Fundamentals 1
- 7:00pm: Zouk Fundamentals 2
- 8:00pm: Short Break (30min)
- 8:30pm: Zouk Fundamentals 3
- 9:30pm: Fundamentals summary + variations if time allows
- 10:30pm: Wrap up + Q&A
- WHEN: Friday 08 January
- TIME: 6:00pm
- WHERE: Gimnastični Center, Koperska Ulica 29, Ljubljana, Vič
- COUPLES REGISTRATION: 35€/person (must register as a couple)
- SINGLE REGISTRATION: 40€
NOTE: In order for this bootcamp to go ahead, we need a minimum of 8 participants to be registered no later than Friday 18 December. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us on 040 97 66 50 (yes, we do speak Slovenian).
4 hour - Zouk Bootcamp Part 2 - "Creative Development"
Saturday 09 January @ 2:00pm
PRE-REQUISITE: This Bootcamp is suited for those who already have full understanding of the "basic Zouk kit". Meaning all the fundamental steps, positions and rhythm/timing. This bootcamp is also suitable for those who attended Part 1.
Zouk is one of those dances where the fundamentals are absolutely crucial and have to be taught in a progressive way in order to understand more involved movement. Therefor we will look at how to proceed to the next set of fundamentals which leads us to the most common variations of the fundamentals.
Join us for some "Zoukcess"! We will first do a quick review of the fundamentals (part1) to then move on to exploring the next part by using your already existing knowledge.
We know how frustrating it can be to try memorise the "moves"... What if we told you, you don't have to because you already know the steps! Lets put logic into your dance instead!
This bootcamp is appropriate for those who may not be able to commit to weekly classes and/or are looking for an accelerated introduction to Zouk dancing. Its also a great opportunity for those already dancing Zouk looking to learn new concepts, new variations and review to brush up the fundamentals and most importantly, make sense of your fundamental steps!
Come and learn, explore and experience Brazilian Zouk beyond the fundamentals!
- 2:00pm: Fundamentals review (basic kit) (60min)
- 3:00pm: Zouk beyod the basics (60min)
- 4:00pm: Short break (45min)
- 4:45pm: Zouk basic development 1 (60min)
- 5:45pm: Zouk basic development 2 (using the fundamentals to create fun and lead-able variations and moves) (60min)
- 7:00pm-8:00pm: Dance practica! (60min)
★ WHEN: Saturday 09 January
★ TIME: 2:00pm
★ NOTE LOCATION!WHERE: Plesno Mesto - Mercator Center Šiška
★ COUPLES REGISTRATION: 35€/person (must register as a couple)
★ SINGLE REGISTRATION: 40€
NOTE: In order for this bootcamp to go ahead, we need a minimum of 8 participants to be registered no later than Friday 08 January. Clicking "Going" is not considered registration. Please use the link provided above to register. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us on 040 97 66 50 (yes, we speak Slovenian). ;-)
Hope to see you dancing real soon!
/Gian & Masha